All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 531 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36
 Post subject: Re: Alternator upgrades
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:59 pm 
Weekend Cruiser

bumpstart wrote:
at the cost of a few cents . would you not change the diode anyway?
i usually run three 3A as a gang ( yes i know they dont shed evenly as they warm ) so i have a proxy 9A

only time ive seen it go bad, and they tested ok to me on DMM
but still one must have leaked was the relay would buzz when the light was activated until the alternator kicked in

Thanks Bump
Yeah running 2 axial 6amp diodes in parallel, very strange never seen a diode reverse bias and read correct on my DMM in the 20 odd years of doing electronic (switchmode PSU's repairs)...Learn something new everyday :D

Ok will buy a few more and see if that fixes the issue.

Appreciate your help mate!

Cheers
Rob

Edit:
Ok today I replaced the diodes and still wouldn't switch off with key :(

Thought to test back feed on the ignition wire I soldered in a diode as in pic below, and it functioned as normal and turned off with key.

That would suggest the internal regulator does indeed have a inbuilt diode to prevent back feed to ign wire. So time to have the alt rebuilt :)

Attachments:
wiring.jpg
wiring.jpg [ 56.97 KiB | Viewed 1734 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:27 am 
Rotary?... What The?

Hi folks,
Useful thread this. Am converting my Rx3 to an internal reg alternator from a Montrose/929, mainly just to clean up some wiring and get rid of the external reg. Couple of questions:

1) Where is the charge light on the Rx3 dash? I'm thinking the bulb has probably gone on mine as no end of testing has managed to get it to light up. I also cannot find its location in ANY Rx3 wiring diagrams.
2) My "6 pin" connector only has 5 wires, and none of these are yellow/blue. Could it be that the missing wire is the charge indicator wire and my car doesn't have this circuit? Seems odd (but aligns with not being able to find the charge light in the wiring diagram lol)
3) More of an observation than a question but on Sim_rx3's drawing for the "Rx3 to internal reg non load sensing" image on the first page, would it not be better to connect into the black (ign) wire closer to the key or fuse box to give the alternator a better reading for the actual voltage in the system, or is the difference minimal so not worth the extra wiring hassle?

Cheers

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:30 am 
Uber Post Whore

1:
rx3 ad early rx2 have amp meters. not a light . though easy to add an LED to the dash / when you upgrade the alt the amp meter MUST be isolated ( wires removed and bridged ) as it will not handle the current pushed through it
2:
yeh
3: depending which diagram you are reading the s4 type hooks to ignition switch to sense load and s5 hooks to the battery B+ to sense load
thats how they work. no need to think too hard about it . sim is making it so you can use a wire and plug that is convenient in the bay and no pull something the length of the loom for a zero or negligible win

paypal : bumpstart13b@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:30 am 
Rotary?... What The?

Thanks bumpstart, that explains why i couldn't find it :lol: Was just following the info on the first page.

So for basic system just need two wires to the alternator? One to the switched battery positive (from black wire from ignition key) and one to the B+ positive connection from the battery via the ammeter?

Will prob add a light at a later date but just trying to get the thing on the road first.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:45 pm 
Uber Post Whore

yes . that is all that is required. the light circuit has some play in the initial field excitement at first startup
but with it left off all alts will enable themselves on the first rev up ( noticable with the lights on )

paypal : bumpstart13b@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:23 am 
Rotary?... What The?

Perfect, thanks. Yes had read somewhere the lighting circuit had something to do with initial power up but sounds like I can live without that. Am fitting a voltmeter too with alarm function so will know when there's a charge problem.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 531 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36