All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: First Gen Rx7 radiator and oil cooler
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:30 pm 
Rebuild Time

I bought a brand new s2 rx7 oilcooler from mazda a while ago. Was 600 at the time. Had to wait a couple of months while mazda japan manufactured it. Its fitted my 10a rx3. Go to mazda if you want genuine quality Ive always been told they are the best performing. Personally id use second hand over after market. Weld 2 plates to a rx7 s2 or 3 front bar and fit a used fc one which is even better. Thats what i did with my s3 turbo.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:27 am 
Get a Girlfriend

^ yes. But don't plumb them backwards, the Turbulators don't like it. Ask me how i know.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:08 am 
Uber Post Whore

Attachment:
323oilline.jpg
323oilline.jpg [ 17.62 KiB | Viewed 2762 times ]

no laughing at the GT coil / no i didnt build it . if i did it would have DFI and decent coils or a 16v ice booster

323 so no oil level send// yes had the clamp bushing

and yes to the slip ons that are supposedly OK , blowing off and need a hose clamp . been there. had same argument and trusted them// once
didnt last a week // hot oil and 95 psi setting on the reg is too much for them

the problem here is cold oil pressure // mazda knew about it, and set up the reg system appropriately and put a thermal bypass in later coolers

aftermarket do not

paypal : bumpstart13b@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:25 am 
Get a Girlfriend

^ i've actually had the turbo oil drain leak. -10 speedflow push-on fitting. A hose clamp fixed it. Kinda blew my mind as they are supposed to be bullet proof and there is no pressure there.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:20 pm 
Rotor Junkie

After working in mining I cannot fathom why anyone who can't use factory lines would mess about with anything other than swagged, hydraulically crimped oil lines, cost about as much as the poxy anodised alloy rubbish and good for an order of magnitude (or two) more pressure than we use. Likewise with fuel, either stick with cheap efi hose, barbs and hose clamps, OEM clip in lines or spend the extra on hydraulic swagged, sheathed teflon and never have to worry about it.

Has anyone found a decent way to isolation mount the early style radiators so they are not acting as a chassis brace that pisses out coolant when it cracks? I think I will probably try to get my hands on a Koyo and a new level sensor when I get room to pull the SA22C apart but it looks like headaches all round with "swinging" strip mounts (like in a clutch cover I guess) and thick sealing foam to isolate the radiator from bearing the brunt of front end flex.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 4:01 pm 
Get a Girlfriend

Thought it worth updating here that my Chinese radiator has started leaking where the tubes are braised into the side tank on both sides.

The radiator is just over 12 months old, the seller has stopped replying to my messages after stating the radiator has a 12 month warranty.

I've bought another cheap radiator. The heater hose on this one was orientated better. It also needed the level sensor boss welded in, during which my welder crapped itself. And they won't cover it under warranty either. Life is difficult.

This new cheap radiator cools just as well as the first. It is not as pretty as the first, and the supplied cap would not reclaim coolant from the overflow properly so I had the low coolant light coming in all the time, as it should have. New cap fixed it.

I had the Spal fan earth attached to one of the oil cooler bolts which I have now moved to chassis. It was like that for 5 years with the old brick shithouse alloy VPW radiator without issue but I moved it just in case electrolysis was the cause.

I have stainless braided oil cooler hoses and alloy fittings that I fitted after the stock Mazda front hose burst and the presence of the oil level sensor saved the motor. I posted about this a couple of years ago. My hoses are not leaking.

Drags: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFLWWWHbRvo

Last edited by arran on Mon May 30, 2016 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 5:15 pm 
Mazda Approved Mechanic

I have used the Chinese radiators in my modified 300zx, its a 3 core I think, cools that perfect.

Got a "OE quality or better" radiator from a radiator shop in Canberra here, for my daily Subaru, the dude he said it was better than the ebay rubbish etc. etc. Lasted 12 months and 15 days. The dude said he couldn't help as it was out of warranty, but could recrimp the bottom tank on it for a cost of 90$ I told him where to stick it and bought a 120$ Chinese one. Sure it was 30$ more, but now i have had it in for 2 years and no leakage.

I will consider a Chinese alloy one when i come to needing one for the FC.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:26 pm 
Get a Girlfriend

The second Chinese cheapie in the RX7 started leaking about 3 weeks ago.
Same as the last one it is leaking where the tubes are braised into the side tanks, and same as the last one it failed just after 12 months. Gotta say though even though the durability isn't there, in conjunction with Spal paddle blade fans they cool very well. We had a stinker of a summer here in Brisbane and I had no issues running the Air Con in traffic

I think I'm going to spend the extra coin on a Fenix radiator, and soft mount it on rubber grommets.
I want to keep the grommet thickness to a minimum. The Fenix though is 10mm shallower so with the thickness of the grommets there will be additional clearance.

Been searching for options, this mini part looks good:
http://www.ukclassicparts.com/mini-spar ... 11G227.asp

Attachment:
GROMMET RADIATOR BRACKET 11G227 11G227.jpg
GROMMET RADIATOR BRACKET 11G227 11G227.jpg [ 11.88 KiB | Viewed 1098 times ]

Drags: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFLWWWHbRvo

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:22 am 
Administrator

Hey arran

That sucks about the radiator. I am pleased to say that my Race Radiator custom job I did back in 2003 still looks perfect. I never used rubber grommets - it's solid mounted and has been fine. I did use grommets for the oil cooler and A/C condensor. In the past when I needed to rubber mount something, I recall using old swaybar end bushes sliced in half. :lol:

The other radiator option as noted near the top of the thread is the new Koyo Rad which is a drop in replacement for the taller style s3 RX-7 radiator (550x400). This unit looks quality. It necessitates moving the oil cooler to the front of the radiator however (potentially a good thing!).

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:13 am 
Get a Girlfriend

I have a ebay radiator (short) that is very shiny, proven to be completely leak free and has been rubber mounted and earthed and run with only proper coolant and distilled water for a month that i will be happy to re-home for the price of postage and maybe a six pack very soon.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:19 pm 
The Bug Has Bitten

I would stay away from them! My radiator leaked through the joins near the radiator cap. The oil cooler nearly killed my motor. Was with Jed getting the car tuned, and when taking it for a test drive, the oil cooler shat itself and dumped 4 litres of oil in about 800 meters. (only 6 months old and about 2000kms) They only offered to pay for me to get it rewelded, and when I asked to have a full refund they just stopped replying. Put in a standard s2 oil cooler/radiator and has been fine since.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:23 pm 
Administrator

Mazda oil coolers are top quality. FC ones are even better as the fitting location involves less stress when fitting/removing hoses. Pretty rare for them to leak.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:08 pm 
Get a Girlfriend

Funny ive so far had a leaky Koyorad, and a tight as a drum short RX1234567 ebay rad which hasnt missed a beat, even with the twin 10" anaemia fans it came with (april, may, melbourne) Was literally the cheapest rad on ebay with fans.
Just got back from Dandy race radiators with my brand new mock up of the customised koyo s5 rad with a few extra things added/removed. Im excited!!
Pics in order;
1) Custom Dandy Race Radiator (looks the shit!!) with slim 16" spal (will upgrade fan if needed but gut feeling says it wont be)
2) ebay cheapy that didnt fit without adding wings and extra shrouding underneath but works great!
3) Koyo fc rad customised to fit sa22. Worked amazing but had pinhole leak where core meets end tank (unrepairable)

Attachments:
radiators 001.jpg
radiators 001.jpg [ 207.06 KiB | Viewed 981 times ]
radiators 003.jpg
radiators 003.jpg [ 205.79 KiB | Viewed 981 times ]
radiators 002.jpg
radiators 002.jpg [ 190.54 KiB | Viewed 981 times ]