All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Are series 2-3 (FB) RX7's going up in value?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:02 am 
Registered Rotor User

Hi team,

Is it just me or are these early Rx7's starting to climb in value now? Seems I used to be able to pick up cars in the states under $1,000. Now it seems you cant get anything decent under $3,000 or even more?

Let alone in NZ or Australia...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Are series 2-3 (FB) RX7's going up in value?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:19 pm 
Get a Girlfriend

A mint / stock standard NZ new series 3 sold for $17K last year.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:15 pm 
Get a Life

Seems all old car values are rising quickly. 8)
IMO the first gen rx7s are just starting and will go a lot higher so snap a good one up.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:55 pm 
Rotor Junkie

Just a heads up, they're not called "FB" in Australia, all first gens are SA here.

Keith :wink:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:37 am 
Registered Rotor User

Yeah I think they will start to climb now too... I have one, Will be keeping it safe and sound for a lot more years yet :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:45 pm 
Searching For More Power

yeah they are climbing, did you see the 3 that sold at shannons Auction a couple months ago? there was a series 1, series 2 and series 3, I think the cheapest went for 25K and the most expensive up near 50K from recollection?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:05 pm 
Registered Rotor User

At least with the first gen RX7 (or any gen RX7 for that matter), we wont see the rebirthing that exists with our piston powered brethren of Capellas, 808s, 121 etc. An RX7 is an RX7.

Yes as earlier RX2-5 prices reach beyond the wallet of the average man, demand for a rotary powered vehicle at a more suitable price will swithc to te first gen RX7s. This demand increase will result in the good deals getting scarcer and prices will start to rise gradually.

Another big decider in their value increasing is the numbers in which they were sold and numbers still available. If a heap more RX7s were sold to the Aussie market compared to RX2, RX3, prices will never get as high as demand is more easily met.

Anyone know rough sales figures across the various RX models?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:58 am 
Administrator

APP55Y wrote:
At least with the first gen RX7 (or any gen RX7 for that matter), we wont see the rebirthing that exists with our piston powered brethren of Capellas, 808s, 121 etc. An RX7 is an RX7.

Yes as earlier RX2-5 prices reach beyond the wallet of the average man, demand for a rotary powered vehicle at a more suitable price will swithc to te first gen RX7s. This demand increase will result in the good deals getting scarcer and prices will start to rise gradually.

Another big decider in their value increasing is the numbers in which they were sold and numbers still available. If a heap more RX7s were sold to the Aussie market compared to RX2, RX3, prices will never get as high as demand is more easily met.

Anyone know rough sales figures across the various RX models?

This document has the full production numbers: http://foxed.ca/rx7manual/manuals/rotary-album.pdf (go to last page)

Years ago Saru also compiled this data and produced a series of charts: http://www.ausrotary.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=151889 - this is so useful, I just moved it to the Model Reference section. The Photobucket links can be seen if using the correct Google Chrome extension. I am in the process of updating the topic so that the charts are saved locally on AusRotary forever.

What is actually surprising is that they were almost as many older rotaries as there were 1st gen RX7s - the 1st gen RX7 was just available longer (7 years in total. Mazda made over 100,000 RX-3s in 1973, which is more than any RX7 model year (or RX8 for that matter). However, the 70s oil crisis kicked in and destroyed sales.

The models sold in Australia is not known. There were 470,000 1st gens, and about 80% of those were sold in the US. Australian series 3 models had their own chassis numbering system and the chassis number is sequential. They run from SA22C-70000 onwards, so it's possible to figure roughly how many were made for the Australian market. The highest chassis number I've seen from memory is 705xxx, so there was probably around 5,000.

No doubt there are more 1st gen RX7s still around than older rotaries. However, if you look on Gumtree and Carsales right now, there are actually as few 1st gen RX7s as there are older rotaries, which is part of what is driving up value.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:16 pm 
Registered Rotor User

That's a great PDF and the charts also make it really easy to see what went on each year. Thanks Kypero!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:27 pm 

Just from casual observations of carsales over the past couple years, I've been wondering where all the RX7s have gone? Have people realised they're going to be collectible and are now holding onto them, stashed away somewhere?

Hardly ever see them on the road any more but so few are for sale. Where are they??

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:08 pm 
Administrator

Me too. Apart from visiting rotary workshops, I have seen 2, yes 2, 1st gen RX-7s on the road in Melbourne in the past 5 years. A fair few would be dedicated race cars, others are being built (seemingly forever, like mine) or stashed away in garages.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:37 am 
Boost Me Up

Only if they are stock. FBs will be the same as RX2/3/4 at some point. Modified will be worth half that of stock.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:54 pm 
Spitting Seals

KYPREO wrote:
Me too. Apart from visiting rotary workshops, I have seen 2, yes 2, 1st gen RX-7s on the road in Melbourne in the past 5 years. A fair few would be dedicated race cars, others are being built (seemingly forever, like mine) or stashed away in garages.

Look harder :P or drive more for work. I do a lot of driving for work so I do see them around, but not often. When I first got mine there were a lot more around, I saw one a week or so. The other factor now is that a lot of people wouldn't be using them as a daily driver, whereas five years ago they were still cheap enough and 'new' enough that some people were.

1981 RX-7 Sport, 12A - daily
1974 Capella RX-2, 13B - cruiser
1982 Hilux, 350 Chev - tow vehicle and 4WD
1980 Datsun 200B - sleeping

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:06 am 
Registered Rotor User

Hey guys, I'm new on here and looking around for an rx7 series 3, what would you think is a fair price to pay for one in decent condition. What have you paid in the last year or two. It is a little hard to work out what is a fair price with plenty of dreamers trying to sell average cars at crazy prices. Thanks for your help
Brian

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:58 am 
Administrator

Brian74 wrote:
Hey guys, I'm new on here and looking around for an rx7 series 3, what would you think is a fair price to pay for one in decent condition. What have you paid in the last year or two. It is a little hard to work out what is a fair price with plenty of dreamers trying to sell average cars at crazy prices. Thanks for your help
Brian

The problem is that there is no much choice out there, so what you think is a fair price is quite irrelevant. Unfortunately, it's a seller's market, so if you want one you need to pay what the sellers are asking.

Do you want something original or are you wanting to buy something modified/modify it yourself?

There's still series 3s out there under $10,000 but they are generally need a lot of work and modified extensively/missing lots of parts. If it's missing lots of parts, it's going to be virtually impossible to find them. For example, the few interior parts that are available are usually snapped up quickly.

If you want something completely original, I reckon you're starting at 15K these days and it will still need work.

For a car that is rust free and ready to drive $20-30K.