All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 13b turbo to NA conversion?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:58 am 
Registered Rotor User

Hi everyone,

I'm looking into buying an RX7 FD but they aren't P plate legal.in my state due to being turbocharged.

However, if the turbo is removed then it should be fine to drive, this leads me to my question: how hard would it be to do a turbo to nah conversion? Would there be any significant costs?

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: 13b turbo to NA conversion?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:13 am 
Administrator

This won't solve your problems, surely.

Forgot what's involved to get it done, if you convert to non-turbo, it will become a modified car, it probably won't pass emissions and in most states this will also be illegal to drive on your Ps.

IF you did do it, you would need to fit extractors and an exhaust system, then fit an aftermarket computer and have it retuned. I would allow about $8K if you are paying someone else to do all the labour. It can be done, but it will be shit and slow and ruin a perfectly good car.

Buy a quick modern NA car and wait until you're a bit older.

Or buy an NA FC or 1st gen RX7.

Post subject: Re: 13b turbo to NA conversion?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:26 am 
Rotor Junkie

As above there is a fair bit of messing around. Would need to cap or loop/restrict oil and water lines, fabricate new intake pipework and at a minimum make a stubby extractor set to meet the factory downpipe or manifold to meet the catback flange point, assuming the car still has twins. Probably not enough fuel with factory tune for WOT at 1 bar absolute unless you intentionally restrict the exhaust or fit an aftermarket computer. If you were unlucky you could drop a seal and kill the motor trying to bodge it up on factory ecu.

Given that all states seem to have modification rules as well as power:weight and forced induction, if a cop pulls you up or someone reports you legally you don't have a leg to stand on. There was a guy who converted one on P plates but it could have been taken off the road for noise or emissions (even for a full licened owner) and he could still have been fined/lost license for driving it. Insurance could easily be void and put you in a terrible position financially if you are involved in a collision not to mention denying someone the medical care they need as a result.

Unless you are seriously flush with cash I would suggest buying a shitter to drive until you have you full license and saving and researching. FDs are expensive to maintain in terms of suspension bushings and control system maintenence. If modified poorly they have overheating problems which can accelerate water seal failure and if AST isn't replaced you can kill a motor in a matter of seconds.

If you are desperate for something sporting to drive get an older car with decent suspension and an lsd and drive that for a while first or buy an rx8 and force induct it or chuck an LS v8 in when you have your full license. The rx8 is a very good chassis to start with and everything in it is newer, but I understand if you have your heart set on an fd. I have one myself.