All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Resurfacing rotor housings
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:36 am 
Rebuild Time

I've seen people sending away used rotor housing to a couple of places in the US to have their rotor housings "honed". I've also seen some people use a special rolling pin facing tool on rotor housing.

What are peoples thoughts on these methods ?

Reason I ask is I have a pair of good used 12a SD Rx2/3 housings with good chrome, no hint of wear around the edges but they could do with a light hone. Are there any other successful ways to do this, perhaps an oil stone ?

The housings will work as they are but if light marks can be removed, why not. In the past you'd just buy a new set but this type are impossible to find.

They'd be good candidates for spraying in a ceramic coat but from what I've seen with my own eyes I doubt there's any longevity in it. This approach is not where it needs to be at the moment in my opinion.

Post subject: Re: Resurfacing rotor housings
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:11 pm 
Rebuild Time

I've been wondering whether it was worth getting mine done as they were pretty good when when I bought them (perfect chrome), I think it would be more worth doing if you had shallow gouges and chatter marks. If the chrome is pretty good then I would have thought the seals would bed in pretty well after a couple of 1000k's.
What is spraying a ceramic coat, I've never heard of it?

This pic is off the Freelance website were I got mine done, you can see if your housing looks like the one on the left then it would be worth doing. The housing on the right is from the same engine.

This was my housings before they got done.

Image Image

This is after, they definitely look a lot better, feels really good too

Image Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:51 am 
Rebuild Time

I might ask Jed when I'm ready, no rush on getting these done, they are just a spare set. I suspect he may be able to do them locally.

Is there any particular reason why you used this place instead of Goopy ? Freelance doesn't say why their process is better than others which is annoying, just the typical internet rhetoric without any facts.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:59 am 
The Bug Has Bitten

Alex of Redline Rotary suggested that I could "Hone" the light chatter marks with 1000/1200 grade wrapped around a 25 or so mm mandrel using WD40 as a lubricant.

Seemed to work OK but needed many hours of work. You cant do a coarse then fine grade.

More concerned with water jacket corrosion. I used a surface hone plate and made sure the width was still within spec. Motors due to be started soon!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:22 pm 
Get a Girlfriend

Yup those housings look great what's the cost to get that done?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:51 pm 
Rotor Junkie

What's this freelance website you boys are talking about...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:17 am 
Searching For More Power

Location: Sitting naked in front of the computer, stalking biatches on myspace
gypsy wrote:
I might ask Jed

Very good idea, got him to do mine and yes they can be sourced locally down in Vic. You do have the best rotary shop, engineer and all round nice guy Rohan at xtreme. Maybe he may know something or do it.

Regards
Bill

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:57 pm 
Rebuild Time

gypsy wrote:
I might ask Jed when I'm ready, no rush on getting these done, they are just a spare set. I suspect he may be able to do them locally.
Is there any particular reason why you used this place instead of Goopy ? Freelance doesn't say why their process is better than others which is annoying, just the typical internet rhetoric without any facts.

Somehow I got talking to Lance over email, I'm guessing he owns it hence the name, Basically their tooling is suppose to be better quality, but who knows, Goopy is probably good too.
Wasn't any real particular reason.

reforme wrote:
Yup those housings look great what's the cost to get that done?

$125Us per housing but I think it's gone up to $150.

BO0557 wrote:
What's this freelance website you boys are talking about...

Just google "Freelance Motorsport"

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:13 pm 
Mazda Approved Mechanic

This process is nothing new, and people have been doing it for I believe over 6 years now. Its definitely a good idea on a budget, and much better than using worn-out rotor housings, but the engine will have decrease performance compared to that of an engine with new rotor housings. If building an engine for competition use new rotor housings.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:23 am 
Rebuild Time

Why will the engine have decreased performance (from presumably lower compression) if the used rotor housings are honed correctly, flat and with no chrome missing from the surface.

More to the point, does Mazda change the composition of the hard chrome at varying thickness levels during it's manufacturing process ?

If it does then I accept your comment, if it doesn't then what's your reasoning ?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:32 am 
Uber Post Whore

, yes,, mazda changes the housing dimensions slightly over the years to deal with the lesser offset from the centreline caused by moving from 6mm to 3mm and 3mm to 2mm apex seals

ie...post 86 housings being slightly tighter than pre 86 housings, even JHB confirm this in their papers
.. and thus the reason early rotors get face clearanced by good shops when used in late housings

as for surface treatments,, they also change over the years , first with the method of plating,, eventually evolving to a sheet metal insert
,, evolving through a couple of evolutions porous channel variations to hold lube on the surface and finally to teflon impregnation

honing the housing is going to take off the impregnated layer from FD housings
,, or going to potentially cut through all the micro channeling of FC housings
,, and at the same time reduce the pressure of the seal working on the surface for the parts of its orbit where the seal is not vertical from the surface
( ie.. the working angle of the seal is not always perpendicular from the housing surface and in these instances the pressure between seal and housing is reduced )

so,, you have reduced seal pressure,, and reduced ability of the housing to hold lubricant and will have reduced life
, the last point possibly moot when you establish that most going through this process will be using seals other than provided by mazda ,, and at boost levels beyond stock intention

paypal : bumpstart13b@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:34 am 
Registered Rotor User

Hey guys, we got here by google analytics software. We would like to thank the people with the kind words about our process. To be honest as someone stated, the process isn't new. Many people believe that goopy invented it but this is far from the truth; goopy was simply the first to mass produce it.

We can't say what companies use what processes (although we do know) but we can say that our process is the most advanced process and it uses the most expensive tooling process of anyone. The only way we can match competition prices is by refining the tooling path our machine uses to extend the tooling life.

We try to not knock other companies as some customers and public frown upon it. We can say that again that our process is of the most advanced of any company out there, no if ands or buts about it. If you do search some of our customers (shops, racers, diy engine builders) have posted pictures of competitors resurfaced housings next to ours and you can really see how much more uniform and crisp our process is.

We've done re-chroming and it's much more expensive than it's worth to offer it to the public. Core guidelines are extremely strict, the labor process is extensive, and in the long run you still have the old exterior of the housing after. We try to explain it to people as taking an old car that sat out in he field and putting a brand new engine in it; it's simply wasteful at this point and not cost effective. New York laws are really difficult so the danger is really high for us in general also (lots of toxic ACIDS!)

If you do have any questions about your housings ability to be salvaged we'll be more than happy to talk to you about it. You can even post here so that everyone else can get a little more educated on the topic.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:53 pm 
Epitrochoid Shaped Head

How are people shipping their housings there and back ? Cost ?

What's the usual turn around on the process ?

Thanks

-Quote : Mark Webber 2007 Jap GP.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:28 pm 
Mazda Approved Mechanic

Haynes rotary in New Zealand do this process would end up a lot cheaper I would think

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:22 pm 
Weekend Cruiser

Great thread im getting my hands on a 12a turbo in bits soon,seal marked the housing hope the rotor is ok, if its marked up can the rotor be cleaned within reason?

Profile E-mail