All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: twin dizzy build 12a turbo internals
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:16 am 
Weekend Cruiser

Hi just wondering if anyone has done as the above title states.

I have a old twin dizzy motor out of a rx4 coupe the plates weren't great but i feel they will be ok after i have used some 400 grade w & D and jimmy weld on pitted areas not critical to combustion luckily .
I've bridge-ported the plates a na port.

I have a 12a turbo e shaft and rotors as well as auto counter weight to run a lightened flywheel and i am thinking of using the corner seals with out the rubber inserts or get some solid seals.

My first build was troublesome to start and when i pulled it down as it had compression issues i discovered one of the apex seal pieces was stuck in the rubber locator for the corner seal hence why i'm contemplating not using them.

My second build used solid seals i've had no problems with it just running it in still ( burning of assembly material still).

My housings are excellent the motor did a said 30000 k's i plan to port the housing exhaust also but not internally just from exhaust inward like a cone shape.

The motor i plan to put in a capella one day and have as a weekend cruiser i'm not trying to set land speed records or get looks its just for enjoyment.

Just wondering also if there is any benefit to having the lower compression rotors in the motor.

i'm no expert just an enthusiast.

cheers

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: twin dizzy build 12a turbo internals
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:55 pm 
Get a Life

don't waste good condition low comp 12a rotating assembly in such a build, just throw Gen 1 rx7 assembly in it and limit boost to 1 bar.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:28 pm 
Weekend Cruiser

ok... can i turbo with big bridge ports and twin dizzy housings the ones with the holes? no yank ones

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:15 pm 

I understand the chrome n TD housings is not as good as the later single dizzy stuff. Some people have questioned the suitability of running steel seals on the earlier chrome, verdict was it seems to be OK but wont last as long. I wonder if it will compromise engine life when you add a turbo to the mix. Just something to keep in mind.

Can I ask why you decided to use the TD engine as a base, especially as you will be limited in gearbox choice and small oil pump?

Please, dont feed the trolls.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:20 pm 
Weekend Cruiser

Rota_Motor wrote:
I understand the chrome n TD housings is not as good as the later single dizzy stuff. Some people have questioned the suitability of running steel seals on the earlier chrome, verdict was it seems to be OK but wont last as long. I wonder if it will compromise engine life when you add a turbo to the mix. Just something to keep in mind.

Can I ask why you decided to use the TD engine as a base, especially as you will be limited in gearbox choice and small oil pump?

its what i got for a good price 350$ i have the rx4 box / bell-housing as i understand i can run a series 5 or even 6 gearbox set up.....

i don't want to turbo and was thinking of putting carbon seals in. i have the turbo internals lying around so its really just using what i have.....

The original e shaft had major heat damage i still have the rotor's want to clean them up and put them on display.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:06 am 

If not going turbo, it might be worth finding some N/A rotors.

But if not going turbo, I understand standard steel 3mm seals will last well enough even on the not so good early chrome. but 3mm carbons would probably be better for keeping the chrome nicer.

Please, dont feed the trolls.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:24 pm 
Weekend Cruiser

Rota_Motor wrote:
If not going turbo, it might be worth finding some N/A rotors.

But if not going turbo, I understand standard steel 3mm seals will last well enough even on the not so good early chrome. but 3mm carbons would probably be better for keeping the chrome nicer.

ok cheers for the advice all....

Profile E-mail