All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: v mount? for fc
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:18 pm 
The Bug Has Bitten

anyone got any info on fitting one or no if there better than a fmic? or any pics ? does anything have to be changed int he engine bay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:28 pm 
Mazda Approved Mechanic

They are more beneficial then a front mounted intercooler, because air flows into the radiator and intercooler basically even, but with a fmic the air has to pass through the intercooler, which is then heated up, then it goes through the radiator, which therefore is not cooling the radiator as much as the air could.

There is enough room in the engine bay of an FC to fit a vee mount setup, but the bad thing is you need a vented bonnet, it won't work without this, you could either see 13BEEF on this forum about getting a fiberglass or carbon one, or getting a n/a bonnet and cutting your own vent into it.

The only benefit of a front mount is the cost, it is much much cheaper. For a vee mount setup your looking at $2000 +

Here's a few pics of FC's with vee mount setups

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:37 pm 
Rebuild Time

they have a more specific application, front mounts are better for street driven cars as they suffer less heat soak in traffic etc. If the car sees the track reguarly i'd go a v-mount.

http://www.jest.com.au EP out now. Check it out!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:04 pm 
Searching For More Power

very true. V-mounts suffer in traffic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:09 pm 
Uber Post Whore

just go a water to air barrel cooler you will never look back.

plus you dont have a big intercooler = cop atractor out the front of the car!! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:26 pm 
Rotor Junkie

Except you have to mount the heat exchanger somewhere, which is more or less the same issue as having a FMIC in front of your radiator...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:48 am 
Uber Post Whore

[CatchMe] wrote:
Except you have to mount the heat exchanger somewhere, which is more or less the same issue as having a FMIC in front of your radiator...

not really.

as the heat exchanger is no were as big as a fmic so it doesnt block as much cool air going to the radiator..

plus you have less likelyhood of having to remove the bottom air diffuser infront of the radiator as you would with a FMIC which is the first thing most people do with an fc which has a massive effect on the radiator being efficient in the first place.

plus if you are that worried it aint hard to sit the original radiator upright..
just need to reroute the air cond and radiator lines (which would have been done in a v mount setup anyway)..

the water to air setup would still be cheaper than a v mount setup with no heat soak (great for traffic conditions).

plus water to air cooler gives a more constant intake temp which is better

pluses out weight the negatives really..

Post subject: Re: v mount? for fc
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:05 am 
Registered Rotor User

Hello! I'm not an expert in all this yet, but I'm interested in such questions. I esteem your opinions, I think it will come in handy.

Profile E-mail