All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Information in this forum is not guaranteed to be complete or correct. If you are able to provide additional information or corrections, please reply in the topic concerned or send a private message to the topic originator.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: Mazda RX-7 SA22C (1978 - 1985)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:48 pm 
Registered Rotor User

Retro Racer wrote:
You can email Mazda Australia and they'll tell that plus the dealers name/location when it was sold new.

Emailed Mazda no response, phoned them and was told their records don't go back that far...

Also contact rms nsw (it was first registered there) was told I need to go via freedom of information? not having much luck.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 11:23 am 
Get a Girlfriend

M4zda wrote:
Retro Racer wrote:
You can email Mazda Australia and they'll tell that plus the dealers name/location when it was sold new.

Emailed Mazda no response, phoned them and was told their records don't go back that far...

Also contact rms nsw (it was first registered there) was told I need to go via freedom of information? not having much luck.

They might have purged their records after 30 years, as when I enquired about my S1 a fwe years ago it was 29 years old.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:16 am 
Weekend Cruiser

Hi,
Can anyone help me answer below question, difference between deluxe and limited? It looks like the link to the answer may have been removed!
Thanks

AD RX wrote:
74gt wrote:
Retro Racer wrote:
Sport $19,490
Delux $20,300
Limited $21,990
Finale $?????? only 150 made,unique black-outs outside of car, badge on pass door trim saying ...#/150 "last of the legends "

Whats the difference between the deluxe and limited s3?

here you go.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:56 pm 
Administrator

I have updated the OP to fix the chassis numbers. The year by year breakdown was using US / LHD market chassis numbers using the JD1-FB33 chassis prefix. I have fixed with the correct SA22C Australia chassis numbers.

I have also retrieved the long lost Mazda model summary removed from their old website at least 10 years ago:

I have all the 1st gen Australia model brochures which I will be scanning in high resolution and uploading to model reference section (on my to do list). These help clear up precisely the difference between the Sport, Deluxe and Limited grades for series 3.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:40 am 
Administrator

While procrastinating this morning, I've gone through archive.org and managed to pull links to cached versions of every dead imageshack link in this thread and edit the original posts so that the images work properly again. This thread is now back to its former glory. You're welcome :P

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:23 pm 
Get a Girlfriend

Well done :bow:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:05 am 
Boost Me Up

Love your work KYPREO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:27 am 
Administrator

Thanks guys. My pleasure.

To clarify the differenes between the different model series 3s:

Limited
Had all the electric features standard including ETR combo stereo with EQ and joystick fader (this was the same style stereo fitted to 1983 GSL models in the US and the 84-85 SE-Limited in Japan), plus front and rear amplifiers
Power antenna with auto-retract
14X5.5" alloys with the rising sun cutout motif
Chequered colour matched cloth interior trim in brown, off black or wine
Seats have adjustable headrest, with driver's side adjustable lumbar support
Leather-wrapped and stitched steering wheel
Sunroof optional
2tone paint optional

Deluxe
Same as Limited including same interior and alloy wheels, except:
* AM/FM tape deck radio with 4 speaker system (front external amp only)
* quartz digital clock in place of joystick fader
* no power windows
* no power mirrors
* no headlight washers ie has different front bumper skin
* no sunroof option (hardtop only)
* no 2tone paint option

Very few of these appear to have been sold, so much so that I don't think that I have actually seen one. I don't have any pictures of one.

Sport
Same as deluxe, except:
* kerb weight of 1070kg (25kg less than the Limited)
* rubber rear spoiler the same as fitted to European and JDM models
* no air conditioning
* no rear wiper/washer (s1 style glass hatch)
* basic plain black vinyl and cloth upholstery without colour matching, rest of interior plastics/vinyl in the off black scheme only
* series 1 style bucket seats with no driver's lumbar support
* no leather wrap on steering wheel - moulded urethane only
* no power antenna
* 14x5.5" steel wheels, not alloys
* LSD was available as an option (not for Limited or Deluxe)

Although air conditioning was not available, the only 2 series 3 Sports I've come across in person had air conditioning fitted by the dealer. I've got the full service books for one of these and the A/C was actually fitted after delivery. Pretty weird to have done that, when for only a little more than adding A/C they could have just got the Deluxe or the Limited.

Here's the specs page from my Mazda RX-7 Sports brochure. The brochure is black and white and doesn't have any photos of the actual car!

Attachment:
RX7 Sports specs.jpg
RX7 Sports specs.jpg [ 223.35 KiB | Viewed 300 times ]

Here's the Sports style interior, which you'll see is a lot more Spartan with console pocket, digital clock and lots of blank switch panels. No leather on steering wheel. This belongs to a space yellow one owned by a bloke in Sydney. He brings it to lots of shows/cruises:

Attachment:
RX7 s3 Sport interior.jpg
RX7 s3 Sport interior.jpg [ 69.67 KiB | Viewed 300 times ]

Finally, (from page 1 of this thread) here are the 14" steel wheels originally fitted to the Sport - actually the same as fitted to base models in Japan as well. You can see the rubber rear spoiler too:

It took a long for me to properly figure this out and post here but I've been wanting to clarify these model differences once and for all.

I will definitely post up my brochures some day. I tried scanning them but they were a weird paper size. The Sports one in particular is quite rare, so I feel it's important to share here for posterity.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:57 am 
Administrator

Retro Racer wrote:
M4zda wrote:
Retro Racer wrote:

They might have purged their records after 30 years, as when I enquired about my S1 a fwe years ago it was 29 years old.

Another late reply, but I was able to get Mazda Australia to confirm the original dealer and sales date for my car earlier this year (2017), 32 years after the fact. They needed the chassis number only. I did manage to get through to the right person the first go. A friend of mine then checked his, but had to have a couple of attempts at it before getting to the right person who knew where to check.

Also, you can check the original engine number fitted to the car by contacting Mazda Japan. :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8