All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Phil's Rotarys
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:12 am 
Mazda Approved Mechanic

Shame that he has "had enough", some of the stuff he sells isn't too bad.

Whatever happened to the RX3/808 (did I go there?) shells?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:08 pm 
Administrator

A couple of shells and section cuts are now being listed on eBay, with more and more being added. It's going to take them a fair while to get rid of a lot of this stuff. Should've just sold the business as a going concern.

1 complete set of 1st gen RX-7 headlight rod bushings were relisted, which I quickly snapped up. 8) Still trying to get an answer on whether the replacement console lid plastic and hinge will be available again. If not, I'm going to try to get manufacturer details and organise a group buy.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:45 am 
Mazda Approved Mechanic

I went down and grabbed some 323 stuff,

-chrome bumper ends (he changed his listing on these from "front" to "front & rear" after I took my old ones down as a sample, the only difference is the bracket that gets removed/moved out of the way for the rear).

-Bugeye headlight trims, I had to take the drivers side back as the silver outer trim finish was rough. The replacement was better. The indicator lenses are rough, but I got a set from NZ that were exactly the same and managed to clean these up ok. So I look at it as, I have a spare set of lenses now!

-inner door handle scratch pads. I got black, my interior is brown, as I had planned on converting to black interior. If they get cheaper, I might get the brown ones so I have the option.

In regards to closing down, he is hoping by Christmas. He is trying to downsize the stock (off his head $4 million) down to around $2 million, to make it an easier sale.

I guess the question is, if you had that sort of cash laying around, would you do it? I think it would be "cool" to own, but A LOT of hours!

There seems to be a bit of hate towards him about what he produces. When I popped in, I went in with the mind of 1/It's a 323 and 2/There re-productions.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:57 am 
Administrator

KYPREO wrote:
Still trying to get an answer on whether the replacement console lid plastic and hinge will be available again. If not, I'm going to try to get manufacturer details and organise a group buy.

They got 30 more of these in. I just bought one. Was totally spewing when these were sold out and thought I was stuck with my Bunnings hinge solution forever. Very happy these are back \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Attachment:
$_57.JPG
$_57.JPG [ 107.38 KiB | Viewed 4120 times ]

They're listed on eBay but available to purchase direct from the store too. Note that they are shown using zinc plated screws to attach the rubber/vinyl console lid cover. The original one is attached using flat black press clips. I'll take some photos when I eventually install this in the car. The other little detail is that it has provision for two hinge supports - one on each side. Series 1 and series 2 has a single stay/support. This was obviously inadequate to properly support the lid. With the series 3 in RHD markets they upgraded to twin stays (LHD got a completely setup with the FB interior facelift).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:20 am 
Administrator

omp wrote:
-inner door handle scratch pads. I got black, my interior is brown, as I had planned on converting to black interior. If they get cheaper, I might get the brown ones so I have the option.

Phils' ones are repro and won't necessarily match if you want brown ones.

Many of these are still available as genuine Mazda parts. They are the same as B series utes and 1st gen RX-7s. Mazda Australia has pretty much sold out (although I only enquired about the part numbers for the series 3 RX-7 off black colour). I got the last 2 from Atkins Rotary in the US for about US$16 (part number is 8116-58-303 65).

According my queries, there are 3 brown colours:

"Beige" - 8116-58-303 22 (used on RX-7 and 1982 model B series) - still available to buy new but maybe only in the US
"Tan/beige" - 8116-58-303 23 (used on 1983-1984 model B series) - still available to buy new but maybe only in the US
"Brown" - 8116-58-303 70 (listed for GLC (US 323) wagon) - not listed for sale in the US, but worth trying your luck at Mazda Australia.

Mazda 323s sedans and hatches (GLCs in the US) did not specify inner door cups as a separate part - the inner door handle is listed as a painted assembly. Brown is 8002-58-330A 70

There's also "japanese_spares" (savannaGT from the forum) selling 3 different genuine brown colours via his eBay store: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mazda-SA22C- ... SwcvdXOb6p

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:25 am 
Mazda Approved Mechanic

KYPREO wrote:
snip

Cool thank you for that, I would be keen to get black door handles, THAT would be the key! So they would be the same as the B series utes?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:41 am 
Administrator

the cups or the handles?

Black cup part number is 8116-58-303 00 - you can find these on eBay.
Black inner handle is 8116-58-330 00 (same part number for left and right). This is for US GLC wagon but hopefully is the same for oz-delivered 323.

The inner handle is the same basic design for RX-7, 323 and B series, but B series has a different part number so not sure if it's exactly the same. The Aussie delivered RX-7s had chrome plated inner door handles (part number . As of last week, there were 3 left in Australia. I bought 2 of them. :D Only $15 each trade. I would try your luck for black painted ones at Mazda.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:56 pm 
Weekend Cruiser

I’ve recently had a terrible experience with Phil…

I don’t knock someone for finding a market niche and taking the spoils, that’s just economics 101. It does however take a number of factors to be a successful business man and treating customers poorly is not one of them.

I’ve bought a number of reproduction things from him and whilst not exact are passable, but some things are horrendous.

Unfortunately if there is an issue with the quality of his products, he disappears like a fart in a fan factory, lies and is as inflexible as a slab of concrete – even when you’re trying to save the guy money to create a solution that is mutually beneficial to both parties.

I could go into detail about what I bought and how bad the products were and the rubbish that has followed but I can’t be bothered typing out the saga.

I’d have to be a glutton for punishment to ever buy things from him again.

Thankfully there are now other people to buy these products from……

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7