All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gear Box Rebuild Recommendations Melb.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:26 pm 
Get a Girlfriend

Looking for a sweet shifting s5 turbo box or a recommendation to someone that does sweet rebuilds,
Its a s5 turbo unit. Melbourne.
Cheers.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Gear Box Rebuild Recommendations Melb.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:19 pm 
Get a Girlfriend

:stupid:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:19 pm 
Get a Girlfriend

Beuler?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:54 pm 
Rotor Junkie

I don't have an answer unfortunately, as I just rebuild mine myself. However I can tell you that you'll never get a sweet shifting s5 box. They just shift like shit, especially at high revs.
What's up with your gearbox?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:44 pm 
Get a Girlfriend

It doesnt like changing gears without crunching or rev-matching. I think its the syncros maybe. I got Rohan to redo 5th gear syncro as that one was giving me the most trouble at the time, now its the only gear that shifts properly. All the other ones are getting worse. I wish i had of had the foresight just to get him to replace every perishable item. Kinda reluctant to approach him cos he hates doing that sort of stuff.
i know what you mean about them not being the slickest gearboxes, but i think a really sweet one would do the job. Cant be arsed doing a t56 conversion. That would be a can of worms - next thing would be a bigger diff, and more boost, and this and that, all at the detriment of being a sweet car to hoon around in and my bank balance for the next 5 years.
How hard was it to do? Need any special tools? I did a holden M21 box once and thats about the extent of my gearbox building career.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:14 am 
Rotor Junkie

Fair enough mate. 5th/Reverse is the easiest to do by far as it doesn't require disassembly of the whole box.

You're a cluey guy, rebuilding it yourself is definitely possible, however it is admittedly a bit of a pain in the ass. Some special tools are required such as a (32mm?) socket that is like a few feet long to clear the output shaft, some long ass bearing pullers and whatnot.

The other problem is pulling the thing down and finding that not only are the synchros worn, but the engagement teeth are worn on the gears themselves, the slider hubs and key pieces, the selector forks etc. are worn too. Of course, you want to replace all the sub standard parts while you've got the bloody thing in bits, so it gets pricey fast.

If you do want to tackle it, I can lend you the big socket I made for the job.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:28 pm 
Get a Girlfriend

Thanks ben. I reckon the super long socket wouldnt be too difficult to dodge up with stuff i have lying around, the long pullers sound like they would be hard to get on to. Not sure id trust myself doing it anyway. Might have to keep an eye open for a nice spare box (anyone? cash money!) and either have a go or get someone else to. How much in parts can it cost to do it properly? Would you be interested in doing one for me?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:29 pm 
Rotor Junkie

For the pullers, I just got regular two jaw pullers and made extensions out of scrap steel. Pretty straightforward really, they just need to be equal lengths. A bit of creativity here goes a long way haha.

It's difficult to say what it would cost without looking at what is FUBAR, the price could wildly vary. Your best bet will be to find somewhere online where you can get prices for Mazda parts readily. In the past I've used Montgomery Mazda in the states as they had a fantastic online parts ordering system. However I think that's since disappeared, and the Aussie dollar sucks anyway.
You could perhaps look at consulting Amayama.com after sifting through an FC turbo parts manual (available from Foxed.ca I think) and cross referencing the parts numbers for all the parts that routinely fuck themselves.

A rough rundown will be;
Synchros
Bearings (must do when old and being pulled down as they don't cope well with being disassembled as they need to be removed by pulling on the outer race) FM4050STD is the CBC number I think
Shift forks (only ones out of spec)
shift rod ends (only ones out of spec)
synchro keys and springs
cotter pins
circlips/snap rings
lock nuts (staked ones)

If you don't have a spare box to pinch parts from, then you may have to face the prospect of needing to replace some of the clutch hubs and clutch hub sleeves.

I replaced an input shaft on one of my boxes as the synchro teeth on it were shit and it cost me $209US (R501-17-21XA) but I just checked Amayama and it's $385.62+post. It was $318.09 from city Mazda a few years ago when I did it too heh. Shit.

It can be a good idea to do all the detent balls and springs, it'll aid in making it shift nicer and make it feel more like a new box. They're pretty cheap.

If I'm being really honest, I wouldn't be too keen on taking on such a job due to how much of a headache it could become. As much as I'd love to help, I'd hate to stuff you around through no fault of my own and melt my own brain in the process.

The last one I did ended up costing me about $500 in parts to rebuild, plus many theraputic hours of disassembly, cleaning, inspection and reassembly.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:29 pm 
Get a Girlfriend

Thanks mate. Sounds very tedious. I've got a headache just letting you think about it. Will keep an eye out for spare boxes. A prepped tremec is starting to sound good.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:42 am 
Spitting Seals

Would a rebuilt W58 be a bit more suitable and require less modifying? I'm sure there'd be a lot of companies that would sell them rebuilt, and if strength currently isn't an issue then it would probably hold up fine.

1981 RX-7 Sport, 12A - daily
1974 Capella RX-2, 13B - cruiser
1982 Hilux, 350 Chev - tow vehicle and 4WD
1980 Datsun 200B - sleeping

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:28 pm 
Get a Girlfriend

^ i have no idea. Are they good? If i was going to go to the trouble of upgrading the gearbox it would want tobloody well be an upgrade for all the money and effort. I kinda like the s4/5 turbo box (even though i have never had a perfect one) since they already fit, already have a clutch which is mint, and if i ever melt it i can get another one from wherever at 3am with about 8 beers under my belt. Power handling is probably marginal.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:18 pm 
Spitting Seals

From the research I did when I blew up a series 4 turbo gearbox, I believe that they can handle a little more power than a turbo gearbox, but not a drastic amount. I've never had one in a car and don't know exactly what is involved in fitting one. But when I did some research on here I found a lot of people who felt they were a stronger gearbox and had installed one after blowing up a turbo gearbox.

What sort of power are you running, and what do you usually do with the car? Plenty of guys have put them behind V8s and I spoke to a guy who had one behind a turbo Ford crossflow and ran it for ten years before it let go. So there must be some truth about the strength.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:27 pm 
Spitting Seals

A thread discussing W-series 'Supra' gearbox versus series 4/5 turbo gearbox:

http://www.ausrotary.com/viewtopic.php?t=43612&highlight=supra+rx7

I don't know what your best option is, perhaps it is worth chasing a rebuild kit first as it would be a lot easier to put the same gearbox back in. Unless you're making 500rwhp.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:38 pm 
Get a Girlfriend

^ im at 400rwp and 8000rpm. s3 diff with torsen. About the limit of what all that can tolerate. A bigger gearbox would make me want to go bigger diff ( and tail shaft, and clutch) and then all the adaptor plates and nutting out speedo drives and bullshit.
Had a quick google, w58 went behind 1jz? should be strong. But t56 can be had for the same price - about 2k. Tremec TKO 5spd brand new a bit over 4k but with options on ratios. I have a feeling none of them will like 8k shifts?

Yeah, I have had a few t2 gearboxes, and none of them were perfect, but none of them really had the same problems - i cant help but think a really mint one would be nice.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:50 pm 
Spitting Seals

Sounds like a fun setup! If you planning on staying at that power figure then a turbo gearbox should be fine. As you said not worth the stuffing around.

There's a place in Moorabbin called Old Car Gearboxes, they told me that generally 1970s is about as new as they go but maybe it's worth asking anyway.

Profile E-mail